The Amazing Benefits of Hemp Oil
Cannabidiol (CBD) oil is popping up in the news and stores nationwide. But what it is and is it beneficial to your health?
Quality Hemp oils are high in CBD and low in THC. The cannabis plant has more than 80 cannabinoids, and CBD is one.
In medicinal hemp, CBD is the dominant makeup of the cannabis plant. Unlike THC, CBD doesn’t cause a high feeling, which makes it safer and an excellent – yet controversial – alternative with the potential to have significant health benefits.
CBD is far different from organic hemp or hemp seeds that are common in grocery stores, health food stores or online. Hemp seed oil is high in vitamins, minerals and also has many healthful benefits, but the chemical makeup is far different from CBD, which has the most medicinal value of the cannabis plant.
Studies show that Hemp oil can naturally help and improve many health conditions, including decreasing pain and boosting overall well-being. Hemp oil can be taken either orally or applied topically depending on the product.
Hemp oil is not government approved; however, it is a natural product and not a synthetic drug. The U.S. government even holds a patent that gives them the “exclusive rights on the use of cannabinoids for treating neurological diseases such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and stroke, and diseases caused by oxidative stress, such as heart attack, Crohn’s disease, diabetes and arthritis.”
There are many studies backed by scientific evidence that highlight the healthful benefits of Hemp oil.
- Pain Relief– The use of marijuana to treat pain dates back as far as 2900 B.C. It wasn’t until recently that modern-day science uncovered how marijuana helps to reduce pain, which is when scientists identified the CBD component in the plant. The human body has a unique endocannabinoid system (EBC), which helps to regulate sleep, pain, immune system responses and appetite. The body produces endocannabinoids, which are a type a neurotransmitter, that bind with cannabinoid receptors in the nervous system. Hemp oil may help with chronic pain by impacting those receptors’ activities, interacting with neurotransmitters and reducing inflammation.
- Anxiety and Depression– Common mental health disorders are anxiety and depression, which are often treated with chemical-laden pharmaceutical drugs that can cause a wide variety of unwanted and harmful side effects. CBD is a promising treatment for anxiety and depression, as studies show that it helps reduce anxiety, discomfort and cognitive impairment. Additionally, Hemp oil is proving to have antidepressant-like effects in some animal studies.
- Cancer-Related Symptoms – Hemp oil may help reduce symptoms related to cancer treatments, such as pain, nausea and vomiting. When people that have cancer undergo strong chemotherapy treatments, side effects include nausea and vomiting, which lead to even more health problems.
- Acne– More than 9% of the population suffers from acne. As a natural anti-inflammatory, Hemp oil may help treat acne and reduce sebum (oil) production in the skin.
- Neuroprotective Properties– Yet another study highlights the possibility that Hemp oil may have neuroprotective properties, which may prove useful in understanding and treating neurological disorders, such as multiple sclerosis and epilepsy. However, it is important to note that not everyone with neurological disorders benefits from Hemp oil, as it can cause diarrhea, convulsions or fever in the higher doses that may help prevent these types of diseases.
- Heart Health– Several studies show a link between Hemp oil and heart and circulatory system health, including the ability to lower blood pressure. High blood pressure directly relates to many dangerous medical conditions, such as metabolic syndrome, stroke and heart attack.
While more studies are needed, Hemp oil is currently being explored as possible treatments for:
- Antipsychotic mental health issues, such as schizophrenia;
- Substance abuse treatment to help modify the brain’s circuits that fuel a drug addiction;
- Anti-tumor effects have been shown in small animals; and
- The anti-inflammation benefits of Hemp oil may reduce diabetes effects.
Overall, Hemp oil demonstrates excellent promise in scientists’ goals to help discover cures for many common health ailments.