The Importance of Annual Eye Exams
The general public often overlooks eye health, when in fact; it should be at the forefront of their minds. We see with our eyes and hear with our ears, making these two of our most important sensory organs. Regular eye exams are important, despite oneâ€™s physical health or age.
An interesting fact: most people do not realize that eye doctors are among the first physicians to diagnosis high blood pressure and diabetes. Why? Because the eyes are not only the gateway to oneâ€™s soul, but they speak volumes about physical health and well being.
Parents should prioritize eye exams for their children, as vision is closely linked to a normal learning process. Children who suffer from undetected vision problems may have difficulties in school. Parents and teachers should also remember that most children, as they are still growing and developing, may not be able to define what â€œnormalâ€ vision is, which is why it is important eye health is routinely examined.
So, what exactly does an eye exam involve? An eye doctor employs several evaluations to help check overall eye health. These include:
- Refractive Errors â€“ Often known as farsightedness, nearsightedness or astigmatism, these types of errors can be corrected with eyeglasses, contacts or surgery.
- Amblyopia â€“ This is a physical ailment when the eyes are turned, or when one eye has a much higher prescription than the other. In serious situations, the eyes will tell the brain to turn off visual images. If let untreated, it can result in permanent vision impairment. Placing a patch over the dominant eye for determined periods of time, allowing the weak eye to improve its sight often treats this disorder.
- Strabismus â€“ This is essentially turned or crossed eyes. This disorder can cause difficulty with depth perception and can ultimately lead to amblyopia (see above).
- Eye Teaming â€“ This includes a range of difficulties, including focusing skills to focusing ability.
- Eye Diseases â€“ Most people do not know that glaucoma and diabetic retinopathy have no physical symptoms in early stages. An experienced eye doctor can help diagnosis these diseases early, leading to a more positive outcome.
- Other Diseases â€“ Eye doctors are specially trained to detect diseases by analyzing blood vessels, the retina, etc.
Vision screens are never a substitute for complete eye exams, as some people can see well but may be suffering from ocular diseases. Additionally, eye doctors also specialize in treating dry eyes or recommending vision supplements for aging patients.
A prominent supporter of good eye health, Olympic Eyewear recommends that children and adults receive an annual eye examination. As a premium bulk sunglasses retailer, they strive to provide wholesale sunglasses at affordable prices.